Wednesday 30 July 2014

Beetroot Brownies

15:00 Posted by Anna , , No comments
Now, I'm not a huge fan of beetroot so why I decided to grow it in the garden I'm not quite sure. However, here we are at harvest time and I've got more beetroot than I need and I want my land back to begin planting new crops. Instead of pickling it all I decided to go on a bit of a hunt for something else to do with it all...I ended up finding this Beetroot Brownie recipe on BBC Good Food.

Given that it had mixed reviews I decided to half the mixture - I didn't want to use my entire patch of beetroot in one go! I have to say although they are slightly different I find them pretty tasty, especially considering they contain much less fat than your average brownie.

Ingredients:

  • 200g of uncooked beetroot (after being peeled)
  • 50g unsalted butter, cubed
  • 100g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
  • 125g caster sugar
  • 2 small eggs
  • 50g flour
  • 15g cocoa powder
Method:
  1. If required, peel your beetroot. Preheat your oven to 180c.
    Fresh from the garden!
  2. Chop the beetroot into smallish chunks and place into a microwaveable bowl. Add a small amount of water, about a teaspoon, cover it in cling film and zap it in the microwave for about 10 minutes. It should be tender, drain it in a sieve.
  3. Add the chocolate and butter to the bowl of a food processor. Add the beetroot to the ingredients and whizz away. The heat from the beetroot should melt the butter and chocolate. Keep on whizzing until it's as smooth as possible.
    Looks yummy (?!)
  4. In another bowl use an electric whisk to combine the sugar and eggs, you want it nice and foamy so do it for a few minutes. 
  5. Add the beetroot mix to the egg mixture and gently fold it in using a figure of eight motion.
  6. Finally sieve in the flour and cocoa powder and fold in before pouring into your greased tin.
  7. Cook for around 20 minutes, check on it after 15, until it has a thin crust but still has a hint of a wobble in it.
  8. Leave to cool in the tray before cutting and serving.

0 comments:

Post a Comment