Thursday 16 October 2014

Sun-dried Tomato and Parmesan Biscuits

Now that the Great British Bake Off has finished Mary Berry & Paul Hollywood have released three episodes of "masterclasses" - where they show us how they'd have done the bakes.

The first episode featured these sun-dried tomato and parmesan biscuits and I have to say the minute I heard "sun-dried tomato" I was sold. Although I'm not a fan of regular tomatoes I find their dried, acidic and intensely flavoured sun-dried cousins irresistible.

I was pleased to find I could pick up the rather obscure sun-dried tomato paste in Waitrose. It's not my usual supermarket but they have such a fantastic range of ingredients that I have to pop by occasionally when I'm looking for a little something extra to add to my baking. I was disappointed to discover that if you're a MyWaitrose card holder you can get 50% off some of their baking range - great if you have a card...not so great if you don't and temporary cards aren't issued instore any more.

Ingredients: 
187g/6.5oz plain flour
2 eggs
0.5 tsp salt
62.5g/2.25oz unsalted butter, softened
40ml cold water
40g/1.5oz grated parmesan
1 tablespoon sun-dried tomato paste

Method:
1. Beat the flour, one egg, salt, butter and water together in a mixer for around 5 minutes, until a soft dough is formed.

2. Add in the parmesan and sun-dried tomato paste and mix until combined.

3. Put dough on a lightly floured surface, roll out until 3mm thick and then refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Pre heat oven to 200c.

4. Cut out using a cutter and place on a lightly floured baking tray. Beat the remaining egg and gently apply an egg wash. Bake for 10-15 minutes, until golden.

0 comments:

Post a Comment